Most people think that they cannot replace a transponder key without having access, not the original one. But that is not correct.
If you are looking to program your new transponder key but you no longer have access to the original transponder key of your Ford vehicle, then this guide will explain how to get through the process. Always have a spare transponder key that will come in handy if you lose the original one.
The only thing you have to keep in mind here is that you need to understand how different transponder key systems work. Different car manufacturers have different transponder key systems in place that differ from one another, and thus, each of these keys is programmed differently.
So whether you want to prevent yourself from locking yourself out of your Ford vehicle or just want to have spare in case of any other emergency, here’s a guide on how to program transponder key, Ford, without the original.
Transponder keys are incredibly useful as they are pretty compact, and you no longer need multiple keys to unlock different doors of your car. However, being useful doesn’t come without a price.
These transponders keys are pretty expensive because they have a small transponder chip inside them, and setting it up is pretty costly. The price is going to vary massively based on where you live and, of course, the craftsman who you hire with the specific skill set.
To save the cost, if you have decided to set it up yourself, it won’t take much of your time, and you can complete the entire process with just a little attention. But the process does require your attention.
Car Key vs. Transponder Key
The most basic difference between a traditional car key and a transponder key is that a transponder key can unlock your Ford vehicle without using the physical locking system. Without it, your engine won’t start, and it can also unlock your vehicle’s door.
On the other hand, a traditional car key doesn’t work until you get it into the locking mechanism physically. It’s a traditional flat car key that is used for unlocking the doors of your vehicle and starting your engine.
How Do You Program a Ford Key Without the Original?
Most people don’t know that they can program a Ford key without the original. And you don’t need your VIN number for it either. You can begin the process by,
- Having a new master Ford key cut out that exactly matches the original.
- Step 2 is to put this Ford key in the ignition switch of your Ford vehicle and turn it on.
- Let it be for around 15 minutes and check to see if the security light is gone or not.
- When the light goes out, wait for 3 minutes and then turn off the car.
- And then turn it back on.
- After that, you will have to repeat this process 3 times to program your new key.
- Now you have a new programmed key that is working with your Ford vehicle.
The above steps guide you to set up a key if you don’t have the original or extra key. But how it should be done if you already have a master key with you. You will only need a few things, to begin with, to set it all up.
Of course, you will need the original key, and you don’t need to have access to the salve as well as the master key. Apart from that, you will also need a functional laptop where you will download a couple of programs.
A windows based operating system will be mandatory to run here. Finally, you will need an OBD2 USB device for connecting the car with the computer to initiate the setup. You will need to have these tools to get through this process.
How Do You Program a Ford Transponder Chip Key with Only One Key?
When you have only one key with you, and you want to program the transponder key, then you will need to have the above-mentioned tools in access to get through the process. You will need the original key, your windows-based computer, and OBD2 USB for connecting the computer with your car.
Cutting the keys
To begin the process, you will need to cut out the key, and it should match your original key. For doing this, you will have to pay a visit to a locksmith as they can get the job done pretty effectively. If you put the key straight away in the ignition switch cylinder, it won’t work and won’t turn on the car. But that is not the end of the story because we still have to do a lot with it.
Downloading the programs on your computer
Now it’s time to download the programs that we mentioned previously on your computer. These programs will allow you to set up your keys. The recommended software here to use is FORScan because it is pretty simple and straightforward to use and set up your key. Get the OBD program on your computer as well for the USB OBD2 adapter. Here’s a video link about this program.
- Each of these OBD devices is different, so you will have to set them up differently.
- Most of them come with a disk for you to operate on your laptop and install drivers.
- If you don’t have this disk, then you will have to go to the website of the manufacturer of the device and downland the driver from there.
- After that, you only need to go through the instruction in the guide that comes with your device.
Connecting the device
It’s time to connect your OBD2 device to your car once you have installed the drivers. And form here, you will initiate the process of setting up your keys.
Setting up the key
it’s time to get back to the other program, FORScan. From here, you need to go through the steps carefully and make sure that you don’t miss anything.
- First, after plugging in the OBD adapter, make sure not to drive your vehicle with your laptop.
- Now, click on that plug icon and switch to real mode. You can hover over the plug icon, and it will say Connect To The Vehicle.
- After that, a few windows will pop up, asking you whether everything is connected or not. You will only have to complete this process by clicking Yes a few times.
- Then the program will start scanning your car, and this process might take a few minutes as well, so don’t worry if it takes time.
- Once everything is done, it’s time to head over to the wrench icon and head over to the programming section of the software.
- The program will ask you to select the Ignition Key Programming button, and once you click that, another screen will pop up after a few minutes.
- During this time, the program will ask you to insert the master key into the ignition switch cylinder, so you will have to do that during this process to ensure everything goes according to the plan.
- When the screen loads, it will tell you that the key has been programmed.
Programming the transponder key
With the help of this program, you have registered the master key into the system, but you are still to program the keys that you have cut with the help of a locksmith. And in this step, we will be doing just that.
- Open your FORScan program and hover over to the wrench icon to click it.
- After that, you need to select the programming option and click on the play button.
- From here, you will have to follow the same steps as you did previously to register the master key.
- The only difference here is that the program will ask you to insert the new key instead of the master key.
- When the process is complete, you can disconnect the key, and it will be programmed. And now you have two programmed keys.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a replacement key without the original?
You can use the FORScan software and go through the steps that we have listed above to get your replacement key without the original.
How much will it cost if a go for professional assistance in this regard?
The cost depends upon the area and skills of the service provider that you choose. But you will be charged for this service around $250 to $300. And for this reason, it is a better option for you to program yourself.
Are there any alternative programs available to FORScan?
There are various other options that you can try out as well besides FORScan. You can go for FoCOM, Torque, OBD Auto Doctor, DashCommand, GaragePro, and IT Effects. You will notice that FORScan is the simplest one of them all to use.
You don’t need to go for any external assistance if you are looking to program a transponder key. To program a transponder key, you just need to have the master key. It is essential to program a transponder key with a master key, but it is not mandatory. You can program a transponder key without the master key as well. The process of getting the new key does take a bit of time, but it will save a lot of your money too.
The program is essentially getting the alphanumeric code from the master key that you registered and then program the new key with it. If you don’t have a master key, you will need a cut key to get through the process. You won’t need to go for your vehicle identification number to program a new key, and it will work with your anti-theft system as well.
Transponder key programming requires special care and a bit of your time, and you don’t need to know much about it. In some cases, you will need a transponder key bypass kit as well, but only if you have your keys stuck in the ignition cylinder.